Monday 14 March 2011

Budget Cuts

Well my family has recently got into the habit of having a bi-weekly meeting to discuss what we need to get done around the house. These meetings generally discuss what our plans are for the next week or two and what we need in terms of money for the plans. They also focus on our bills for the house, car, and credit cards. Now something you should understand is that my parents are not the best for credit cards. When I was a kid we ended up having to file bankruptcy and all that jazz so we ended up losing our swanky place at boardwalk and didn't get to pass go. What happened was that we had to move to much smaller house so it was fun explaining to my teachers that I didn't do my homework because I was moving, then answering if we were moving into a bigger house, and then finally explaining the entire situation to someone who has no reason to ask about it.

Anyways, because of these past misfortunes my parents never shut up about the proper use of a credit card. They've been pounded hard enough my credit cards (as have I by proxy) and they don't want that to happen again. The sad thing is that they still can't keep it under control. I don't know how they're fucking up. I started to ask about our bills so I can keep my own budget, I don't trust my parents with their money anymore, is that sad? I have our hydro bill and our hydro debt from our old house written down but I need to make sure I get the other bills from my mom when they come in, that or harpy her for them (apparently a lot of them get billed through the bank electronically or are billed to a credit card). I then also need to factor in variables such as our gas and food bills along with any kind of extra shit they may do (i.e buying movies, going out for dinner). At the meeting when I started asking they told me not to worry about it though. I found this kind of patronizing, especially since I will end up having to do this soon. By no means am I asking for control over the bills or our budget, but I'd like my own records to understand where we're bleeding money from and it'll give me the valuable experience I'll need for my real world applications.

I've been half budgeting my future out because college is coming up and I'll need money for that. Luckily I should have my native status by then which should pay for a majority, if not all of my expenses. What I'm hoping for soon is to get a job (I repeat myself often on this blog don't I?), I'm handing out resumes tomorrow, I need to ask that one store again if they're hiring/for their number. Anyways, once I get a job I can actually budget correctly instead of using my made up numbers as I am now. If I calculated it right, on bare minimums alone in a worst case scenario I should have upwards of $1500 - $2000 saved up for my college life, I think that's pretty okay. If I really need to I can ask my parents, my grandparents, or my extended family for money. If I tell them I'm planning on becoming a doctor I'm sure they won't hesitate. Sigh...

I feel like I'm just sitting here waiting for my life to begin. Every day seems to be blending together. I'm waiting out the clock on Amanda, I texted her today because of the advice from Godless' comment (They help people, seriously give me your ideas). She seemed happy that I texted her, that or the voice I gave her in my head seemed overly bubbly. She couldn't come over today because she was busy with school work as I suspected so I shall continue my waiting until she is done school. Would it be wrong of me to ask when she's done her semester? Probably not. I might end up doing that when I text her next.

-Marz

No comments:

Post a Comment