Friday 15 April 2011

Internet.

My internet sucks. The speeds are ridiculous. According to my dad we're paying for the highest they offer (according to their site this is 5Mb - mega bits - a second). That claim is absolute bullshit. They throttle speeds when you P2P which I don't mind because they at least admit it. The problem is that they're throttling me (I believe) even though my P2P is way way way below my limit. Not only that they also say that they check every 15 minutes to limit whoever is eating more bandwidth (to keep the servers running, again fine, keep the servers up but I'm not doing anything. So far its been about 30-40 minutes since I turned off uTorrent (average speed of about 30Kbs a second) and my speed tests are still showing crap (Average ping : 1300-1700, average download speed : 0.08 Mbs (megabits), average upload : 0.10 Mbs). Now lets do math everybody, because I think I might call these pricks soon since we are really not getting what we're paying for. I'll remember to spam speed tests tomorrow before uTorrenting at all to double check results and present them to my dad.

What we're supposed to be getting (my assumption according to dad and website):
5 Megabits a second.
What we're getting (according to speedtest.net)
0.08 Megabits a second

Okay, more math to translate that into the figures most people understand/use.
5 Megabits to Megabytes = 0.625 Megabytes
0.08 Megabits to Megabytes = 0.01 Megabytes


0.625 MB to KB = 640 KB
0.01 MB to KB = 10.24 KB

I will say again, that is fucking bullshit. I'm not doing anything but internet surfing right now. I'm the only person online (the only other person I could see being online is my sister, and she'd be streaming youtube at most). I understand that the 5Mbs is supposed to be maximum with other factors coming into play, but even with other factors I don't believe that I'm getting such a shitty speed. This basically means I can't stream videos without waiting triple the video length sometimes more, I can't play any online games because it's either too laggy or I'm immediately kicked for high ping, and I also can't download any games/movies very fast (uTorrent is by far the fastest thing I can do but it's still slower than I'd like) which means I can't easily acquire the single player games which would keep me busy/less whiny.

Anyways, I'll be talking to my dad tomorrow after more research. On another note my mom goes into surgery tomorrow (something about uterus cancer) I'm kind of worried, but I don't think I should be, apparently its a pretty safe surgery (I think). Hopefully all goes well.

-Marz

No comments:

Post a Comment