Saturday 5 March 2016

DRM

DRM

When I was a teenager my main source of gaming was because of pirating games through torrents, I knew this was not necessarily a good thing for the creators of that game but I did not have the money to purchase the game anyways; somehow in my mind that justified it at the time.

Later in life when I have a lot of hypothetical money I figured it would be morally and karma fixing to switch (or mainly) purchase games either online or in hard copy format. I have bought games I have pirated in the past even without the intention of playing them again initially because of the enjoyment I had from them in the past; the Total War series is a good example of this, I honestly wish I had bought the game earlier so that I would have a record of my hours sunk into Medieval II.

Right now I'm frustrated though, the majority of the time when I have bought a game that I enjoyed previously pirated I have to deal with either intrusive, always online, or plain game-breaking DRM problems (my own computer crashing aside). Having to create a million profiles for each different company is starting to get annoying, I already gave them cash do they need all my contact information now too? I don't want more fucking ads, usually people just use a burner email anyways and then you're screwed if you need to continue using it because you just want to play a game which you could play much more easily with a crack.

I sometimes feel as though I have burned my money for an inferior product...but you can't really compare to free in general, but making someone feel bad for seemingly doing something good is ...well... common I guess but still. Christ. Fuck you Stardock, I just wanted to play Sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment